Thursday, September 8, 2016

Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I'm ready for fall.  And though the calendar says it is exactly two weeks away, I'm in denial and pretending it is here right now.  

In the spirit of all things fall, I baked Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins for an afternoon snack.  My middle Love is now eating vegan, so I tweaked a recipe in The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. 

Next time I will use gluten free flour as that is my newest adventure, eliminating as much gluten from the diet as possible.  I should have used gluten-free flour today, but I often cook on auto-pilot and I'm still accustomed to grabbing the big flour bin (maybe I'll switch out the contents and put gluten-free flour in it now).  

The muffins are tasty, not too sweet, and definitely fallish in nature.

Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins
vegan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners (I had pretty fall ones left from last year)

Stir 1 tablespoon chia seeds into 1/3 cup water (let stand a few minutes to "gel")
If you aren't interested in making this vegan you can substitute an egg for the chia seeds (no water necessary).

In a large bowl combine:

2 cups flour
1/3 cup natural sugar (you may want a tad bit more if you like sweeter muffins)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

In another bowl mix together:

chia seed mixture (or 1 egg, lightly beaten)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup applesauce
1/3 cup almond, rice, soy or  "milk" of choice
2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
1 tsp vanilla

Stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients just until combined.

Optional add-ins:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
( I used walnuts this time only because someone had eaten all the chocolate chips! Next time I'll add both.)

Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy with a cup of your favorite tea!

I love all sorts of apple and pumpkin pastries and I've pinned a bunch of new things to try on my Autumn Ideas Pinterest Board.

What is your favorite fall treat to bake?

Love,
Catherine Ann

1 comment:

  1. These sound really good. I'm so glad your still writing. For some reason I had lost your contact,but found you this morning as I was drinking my coffee and thinking if I knew how to get ahold of Catherine she could answer my questions, Behold the Lord help me because you came up on my google this morning....................Praise God. I know your not a doc I just wanted to know if in your studies you had ever heard if herbs helped with diabetes or know of a persons site that you trust to know herbs who uses them for diabetes, Thank you. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!