Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apple Cake



September is always apple month at our house.  We eat apples and peanut butter for snacks, make caramel apples, bake apple crisp, apple pie ... someday I'm going to try those apple dumplings.  We used to read lots of lovely picture books all about apples, but my girls seem to think they've outgrown those.  Perhaps I will just read them to the cat! 

Below is my Kitchen Adventure version of an apple cake recipe that was in our local paper.  It was quite tasty and simple to make. 

Philadelphia-Style Apple Cake

6 cups peeled and thinly sliced tart apples such as Granny Smith (about 3 large)
1 1/2 cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided  (I use Organic Cane Juice Crystals)
4 tsp. cinnamon
dash of cardamom (optional, but delicious)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tb. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup light brown sugar (I just use the same Organic Cane Juice Crystals)
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. 
Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.

Combine apple slices with 5 Tb. sugar and 4 tsp. cinnamon.  Set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.

Beat eggs with remaining sugars.  Add in vegetable oil, orange juice and vanilla. 
Beat well. 

Gradually add in flour mixture and mix until well blended.

Pour one third of the batter into the pan.
Top with half the apple slices.
Pour in half of remaining batter and top with the rest of the apple slices.
Top with remaining batter making sure the apples are covered.

Bake 50-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pan 10 minutes.  Turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.

This cake was actually better the second day.

* I will make a few changes the next time I bake it- less sugar for one, substitute at least part whole wheat flour, add some cloves, allspice, and nutmeg to the cinnamon ... and I think it needs a few walnuts, too.

1 comment:

  1. I had a wonderful apple dessert tonight at church...I forgot to get the recipe, but I will!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!